Back in June, groundwater professionals from around the globe gathered in Las Vegas, Nevada for "The New MODFLOW Course: Theory and Hands On Applications” – a comprehensive 4-day groundwater modeling short course presented by Princeton Groundwater and the National Ground Water Association.
Through a series of lectures and hands-on lab exercises, students learned the theory behind MODFLOW-2005 and its related programs (MODPATH, ZoneBudget, MT3D, and RT3D), and gained practical experience developing three-dimensional groundwater flow and transport models using Visual MODFLOW Premium (includes MT3D99, SAMG and WinPEST).
The course also demonstrated how to use:
- Three-dimensional numerical models with proper grid designs, parameterization, boundary conditions and site hydrogeologic conceptualization
- Modeling results to observe field data (heads, flows and concentrations)
- MODPATH to model three-dimensional particle tracking for capture zone delineation
- ZoneBudget to assess subregional water budgets within the model domain
- MT3D to model the natural attenuation of contaminants
- WinPEST to improve model calibration and assess uncertainty
The course overall was well received by participants and many offered enthusiastic feedback at the end of the course.
"I now have a much better understanding of how groundwater models work, their problems and strengths, and a good understanding of setting up the model"
"I learned some tricks/tips for using Visual MODFLOW. Knowing more about the history/use of MODFLOW is very useful"
"Excellent, approachable instructors with practical experience really made this course successful. The labs were pretty well designed"
"Excellent instruction - well coordinated, extreme expertise, great examples and anecdotes. Excellent instruction package, organized, step-by-step and great references"
If you are looking for MODFLOW-based groundwater modeling training and were unable to attend this course, there is good news. The "New MODFLOW Course: Theory and Hands-on Applications" is being offered again on September 11-14, 2012 in Princeton, New Jersey. Click here for registration and more details.