From May 2nd to 6th, 2012, Beijing Water International, Ltd. (BWI), in conjunction with Peking University, China University of Geosciences (Beijing), and Waterloo Hydrogeologic, hosted their eighth Visual MODFLOW short course.
Seventy-five participants from over thirty institutions attended this five-day training, which provided lectures from world-renowned scholars during the morning sessions, and practical lab exercises in the afternoons. This included one half-day introduction to AquiferTest Chinese (currently in beta version) and UnSat Suite, and three half-day courses focusing on the principles and application of Visual MODFLOW Chinese.
Day 1: Dr. Charles B. Andrews, president of SSP&A, introduced the basic theory and practical application of groundwater investigation and consultation based on his thirty years of experience.
Day 2: Dr. Charles B. Andrews continued his lecture on the steps and methods for hydrogeologic analysis, including analysis method of pumping tests and slug tests.
Day 3: Prof. Chunmiao Zheng from the University of Alabama and Peking University gave a lecture on solute transport modeling of groundwater.
Day 4: Prof. Wanli from China University of Geosciences discussed the basic theory of groundwater flow modeling. Lihong Yang from BWI then introduced participants to the basic theory and cases of hydrologic modeling, and presented a landfill estimation project in Beijing using groundwater flow and contaminant transport modeling.
Day 5: Dr. Li Wenpeng from Centre for HydroGeology and Environmental Geology, CGS gave a lecture on the methods of understanding groundwater systems.
BWI arranged lab sessions on Visual MODFLOW, AquiferTest, and UnSat Suite in the afternoons. The lab exercises included: confined aquifer pumping test analysis, slug test analysis, organic pollution transport, natural degradation simulation, 3-D plume capture, and contaminant transport simulation in the unsaturated zone.
The training ended on May 6 with great feedback from the participants.
- Chinese Research Academy of Environment Sciences
- Beijing Institute of Water, China Institute of Atomic Energy
- Inner Mognolia Water Resources and Hydropower Survey and Design Institute
- Shandong Provincial Institute of Land Surveying and Mapping
- Guangxi Beihai Institute of Geological Engineering Investigation
- Qinghai Province Institute of Geo-Environment Investigation
- Guangzhou Agency of Geology Investigation
- Changzhou Research Academy of Environment Sciences
- Xinjiang Geology and Mineral Exploration Institution
- Qinghai Province Qaidam Institution of General Geology and Mineral Exploration
- Beijing Institution of Hydrogelogy and Engineering Geology
- Nanjing Institute of Environmental Science
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research
- Anhui Jinlian Geology and Mineral Resources Technology Co, Ltd
- Hangzhou DADI Environmental Protection Engineering Co., LTD.
- MWH Global, Inc -Taiwan
- Tsinghua University
- China University of Geosciences
- Dalian University of Technology
- Chengdu University of Technology
- SUN YAT-SEN University
- Shanxi University