Enjoy robust upgrades and dynamic enhancements in Visual MODFLOW Flex 4.1 This latest version gives users the ability to utilize key upgraded engines; grid editing updates; property and boundary improvements; enriched visualization abilities, and so much more.
Our development team heard from users around the globe that editing capacity was lacking, so we improved it and added many new user-friendly features, including but not limited to those listed below.
- 2D/3D View Keyboard Navigation – Navigate in the active 2D or 3D view using the keyboard. Arrows keys pan the view, +/-keys (on the number pad) and page up/page down keys zoom in and out. In an active 3D view, the +arrow up/down keys changes the inclination of the model relative to the horizon and +arrow right/left rotates the model about the vertical axis.
- Custom Contours – Customize contours in 2D, 3D and Flex Viewers by setting start and finish contour values for contour lines and isolines. You can also specify a contour interval. Changes in one part of the flex Viewer are reflected in other parts.
- 3D View Setting Defaults – Create and Save project-Specific Default View Settings for each data type in the 3D Viewer.
- Modeling Objectives – Modeling Objectives for Transport Simulations can be changed at any time, not just during initial set-up or conversion.
- Model Settings for Translate/Run – You can now specify whether individual packages are translated and/or run with the model, which provides the flexibility to use your own packages similar to the advance settings in Classic for model translate/run.
- Cell size Control for Conceptual Models – Similar to numerical grids, you now have full control over the grid size specification during initial grid creation; you can set grid cell dimensions to whole numbers for ease of calculation and reporting.
- LGR Boundary Conditions – Boundary conditions that span the parent/child grid interface(s) in an LGR model can be specified in both the Conceptual and Numerical workflows
- Dual Domain Mass Transfer – Flex 4.1 now supports dual domain mass transport modeling through the MT3D-MS and MODFLOW-SURFACT transport engines. (See Updated Engines)
- Unsaturated Zone Flow (UZF) Package – Flex now supports 1-D unsaturated flow associated with the UZF package in MODFLOW-2005.
- Upgraded MODFLOW 2005 – Flex is now packaged with MODFLOW-2005 v1.12.00, the latest official USGS version as of the release date of Flex 4.1.
- Upgraded MODFLOW NWT – Flex is now packaged with MODFLOW-NWT v1.1.2, the latest official USGS version as of the release date of Flex 4.1.
Added support for MODFLOW-SURFACT – Visual MODFLOW Flex now supports MODFLOW-SURFACT version 4.0, a fully-coupled flow and transport engine developed by HydroGeoLogic, Inc. which features many robust methods and enhanced simulation capabilities for handling complex saturated/unsaturated subsurface flow and transport processes. Based on the USGS modular groundwater flow model, MODFLOW, it supports the following packages:
NOTE: MODFLOW-SURFACT was developed by HydroGeoLogic, INC. and is sold as a separate add-on for Visual MODFLOW Flex. A demo-version that supports model grids of up to 10,000 cells is included for evaluation purposes. Additional packages (e.g. subsidence [SUB], streamflow routing [SFR], etc.) are supported by SURFACT and may be developed outside Flex.
- Undock/Redock Tabs – Tabs can be undocked as separate windows. Simply drag and drop or right-click on the Tab name and select the ‘Undock Tab’ option and you can place the new window anywhere on your monitor screen(s). Redock a window back to the main program window using drag and drop or right-click and select the ‘Dock Tab’ option.
- Explorer Support – Open a Visual MODFLOW Flex .AMD file directly from Windows Explorer.
- .Net Framework 4.6.1 – Now bundled with Flex installation.
- About/Splash Screen – Version and build number are displayed on the Splash Screen and on the About Screen.
- Improved Performance – Improved memory handling and performance enhancements.
- Could not edit or define a Boundary Condition when multiple grids were present as part of the same LGR grid.
- Inconsistency between calculating and displaying leakance in the lake boundary condition when using certain time units.
- Some PEST runs were not successful due to incorrect observation files.
- Issue when importing time schedules for recharge package.
- Translation issue when importing some Visual MODFLOW 2010.1 Classic projects into Flex.
- Progress bar does not provide adequate feedback when opening large projects.
- Issue with extracting multiple species from sub-grids for MT3D-MS runs.
- Toolbox was blank after translating/running the model and clicking Define Properties step.
- Translation issue in MT3D-MS RC3 file for bulk density values when using inconsistent units.
- Improved feedback/reporting for certain engine runs that do not converge.
For full version history, see the Visual MODFLOW Flex readme file at https://www.waterloohydrogeologic.com/visual-modflow-flex-readme/