Visual MODFLOW Flex provides vibrant tools and time-saving workflow options, giving you the ability to efficiently build complex groundwater models. Visually stunning projects are at your fingertips with the new 5.0
SEAWAT – Added Support for SEAWAT v.4: Visual MODFLOW Flex now supports SEAWAT, a fully coupled flow, multi-species solute and heat transport model developed by the USGS, based on a combination of MODFLOW-2000 and MT3D-MS.
The following SEAWAT flow packages are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• BAS6 – Basic Package
• DIS – Discretization Package
• BCF6 – Block-Centered Flow Package
• LPF – Layer Property Flow Package
• OC – Output Control Package
• RCH – Recharge Package
• EVT – Evapotranspiration Package
• WEL – Well Package
• DRN – Drain Package
• RIV – River Package
• GHB – General-Head Boundary Package
• FHB – Flow and Head Boundary Package
• CHD – Time-Variant Constant Head Package
• LAK – Lake Package (LAK3)
• HFB6 – Horizontal Flow Barrier package (HFB6)
• OBS – Observation
• HOB – Hydraulic-Head Observation
• GMG – Geometric Multi-Grid Solver
• PCG – Pre-conditioned Conjugate Gradient Solver (PCG2)
•SIP – Strongly Implicit Procedure Package
• WHS – BiCGSTAB-P Matrix Solver
• LMG – Link Multi-Grid package for using the SAMG (Systems Algebraic Multi-Grid) Solver
The following SEAWAT transport packages are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• VDF – Variable Density Package
• VSC – Viscosity Package
• BTN – Basic Transport
• ADV – Advection
• DSP – Dispersion
• SSM – Source/Sink Mixing
• RCT – Reaction Package
• GCG – Generalized Conjugate Gradient Solver
NOTE: Advanced Translate/Run Settings enable partial support for simulating additional processes/packages (e.g. subsidence, drain return) developed outside of Flex.
RT3D – Added Support for RT3D v2.5: Visual MODFLOW Flex now supports RT3D, an advanced reactive transport engine based on the popular MT3DMS transport engine.
The following reaction modules are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• Instantaneous aerobic degradation of BTEX.
• Six Species, First-Order, Rate-Limited, BTEX Degradation using Sequential Electron Acceptors
• Rate-Limited Sorption
• Double Monod Model
• Sequential First-Order Decay (up to 4 species, e.g., PCE/TCE/DCE/VC)
• Aerobic/Anaerobic PCE/TCE Dechlorination
Dynamic additions to visualization and settings.
- Cell Inspector – View and inspect structured and unstructured models at the cell-level using the new cell inspector, available in the workflow viewers. The cell inspector displays cell values for user-specified input and output data fields.
- Status Bar – Cell dimensions have been added to the status bar.
- Time-Picker – A time-picker is now available for unstructured grid workflow viewers.
- Layer-Picker – A layer-picker is now available for unstructured grid workflow viewers.
Additional Translation/Run Settings: Added advanced settings for all supported engines (excluding MODFLOW-USG) so that you can specify whether individual packages are translated and/or run with the model, which provides the flexibility to use your own package input files.
New Property and Boundary Conditions tools.
- Field Calculator: Populate boundary condition fields using a calculator that includes an expression builder dialog to facilitate the inclusion of variables based on your model’s properties (e.g. grid dimensions, elevations).
- Dispersion Parameters: Values can be edited in the Dispersion Parameter Dialog using copy, paste, and fill commands.
- Easy Classic Importing: Import your Classic project into Visual MODFLOW Flex directly from the file menu.
- Import Classic Concentrations: Boundary condition concentrations are now imported from Classic Projects.
- Animate Relative times in 3D views: in 3D View animations, the time stamp label for heads can be specified in relative or absolute time.
- Descriptive Title Bars for Settings Windows: settings windows now display descriptive window titles including the data layer and viewer the settings apply to.
- Rename Objects: Objects in the Data Explorer and most objects in the Model Explorer can be renamed.
- Feedback Button: Added anonymous feedback buttons so that you can easily report what features you like or don’t like.
- SAMG Solver: Added a single-processor version of the SAMG solver for Visual MODFLOW PRO users.
- Defining BCs along irregular polylines that are close to the active model limits produced unexpected results
- Reorder Tool was missing in some views
- The Show/Hide Gridlines button and associated toolbar disappeared intermittently from the viewer
- Well Data import failed without warning the user that the pumping schedule had inconsistencies, including pumping start date before model start date or pumping start date after pumping end date
- User could not assign polygon attribute data to conceptual recharge/evapotranspiration elements
- Problem(s) with Time Series Viewer
- Multiple PEST Workflows could be created for the same model run which corrupted the PEST workflow.
- Multiple issues in the advanced run/translation settings
- PCG Solver translation settings of the PCG2, PCG4, and PCG5 solver packages for MODFLOW-SURFACT models.
For full version history, click here to review the Visual MODFLOW Flex.