What’s New in Visual MODFLOW Flex 2013.1
Visual MODFLOW Flex 2013.1 delivers high-performance transport engines with exceptional 2D/3D visualization capabilities for accurate, reliable and efficient simulations of groundwater flow and contaminant transport.
- Contaminant Transport Modeling: Effortlessly design and run MT3DMS contaminant transport simulations, and visualize rich 2D/3D renderings of concentration plumes
- Improved Performance for Maximum Efficiency: Achieve accurate transport simulation results twice as fast with full 64-bit engine support
- Increased capacity for larger models: Build large transport models with high-resolution MODFLOW grids (one million cells) with full 64-bit engine support
- Enhanced 2D Visualization: Smoothly navigate and explore results and detailed model renderings with an enhanced 2D graphics engine
- Multi-model Uncertainty Analysis: Easily compare the model results of multiple grid types, modeling scenarios and remediation strategies side-by-side within a single project, and choose the most reasonable model
- Reliable QA/QC: Visually correlate plume locations to observed borehole, monitoring locations and your geological model to validate model assumptions and gain confidence in your results
- Classic Numerical Modeling Workflows: Build your models from the grid up using traditional techniques that begin with 3D grid design (as in Visual MODFLOW Classic)
Cut Simulation Runtimes in Half
With 64-bit engine support, Visual MODFLOW Flex can dramatically reduce runtimes for MT3DMS transport simulations. To quantify the improvements in runtimes, a transport model with 670,000 cells and 15 stress periods was simulated in both Visual MODFLOW Classic and Visual MODFLOW Flex (32-bit and 64-bit). The resulting runtimes are shown in the graph below. The Visual MODFLOW Flex 32-bit and 64-bit simulations finished in 2700 seconds and 2400 seconds, respectively. The Visual MODFLOW Classic simulation finished in 5063 seconds, twice as long as the Visual MODFLOW Flex 64-bit simulation.
Bug Fixes and Enhancements
iew the Visual MODFLOW Flex Readme for a full list of bug fixes, improvements and other enhancements.
Airport Tutorial – Contaminant Transport Modeling
Learn how to build contaminant transport models in Visual MODFLOW Flex by following the step-by-step Airport tutorial.