What is Visual MODFLOW Flex?
Simply put, Visual MODFLOW Flex is the new Visual MODFLOW.
With a completely rebuilt and redesigned user interface, Visual MODFLOW Flex offers many new features that allow you to build more accurate and reliable groundwater models faster and more efficiently than before. Visual MODFLOW Flex offers the following:
- Integrated 3D conceptual and numerical modeling capabilities for fast, efficient and cost-effective groundwater flow and contaminant transport modeling
- Multiple model management for evaluating multiple hypotheses and hydrogeologic interpretations all in a single project
- Full 64-bit support for building larger, more complex models and running simulations faster
- Flexible grid type selections for accommodating complex geology and eliminating model convergence problems
- Regional-local scale modeling with MODFLOW-LGR
- Finite element mesh generation for designing models for FEFLOW simulations
- An intuitive, easy-to-use workflow-driven user interface
- Define UnStructured Grid models for MODFLOW-USG
Why would I want an integrated conceptual and numerical modeling software?
Click here to read about the many benefits of using Visual MODFLOW Flex.
Why are there two separate interfaces?
We’re already so excited about Visual MODFLOW Flex and we want you to be able to start using this new software right away. Because we still have some work to do, we are including a free copy of Visual MODFLOW v.2011.1 (now referred to as Visual MODFLOW Classic) to make sure you have all the tools you need.
You can start every new project by designing the grid and geology in the Visual MODFLOW Flex interface. For the time being, if you know your model will require the use Streams boundary condition, SEAWAT, RT3D, MODFLOW-SURFACT or MODFLOW-96, you will then switch over to Visual MODFLOW Classic. Otherwise, it’s business as usual in Visual MODFLOW Flex.
Click here to compare the features available in both interfaces.
Should I migrate my existing VMOD model into Visual MODFLOW Flex? How would I do that?
There are many benefits to migrating existing projects into the Visual MODFLOW Flex interface.
- VMOD Flex offers a number of great visualization improvements:
- Simultaneous plan and cross-sections (see multiple views at the same time)
- 3D views are now available in all versions
- Animate heads and drawdown over time
- View seasonal changes in recharge and EVT values
- <li>90% of VMOD users keep at least five versions of models that are currently stored as separate projects in a variety of folders. Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to easily manage models, and calculate and interpret differences between an unlimited number of modeling scenarios, all within a single project.
Click here to download the project migration tutorial.
How can I learn more about Visual MODFLOW Flex?
- Follow along with step-by-step tutorials
- Watch demonstration videos, and webinars
- Stay connected by subscribing to our new groundwater modeling software blog
- Join the FREE Visual MODFLOW Users group on LinkedIn
- Read the comprehensive online user’s guide
- Attend a Visual MODFLOW Flex training course. Click here to view both online and in-class training opportunities.
Can I run transport simulations with Visual MODFLOW Flex?
Yes, with Visual MODFLOW Flex 2013.1 and later you can run contaminant transport models with MT3DMS. Click here to learn more.
Am I eligible for a free upgrade to Visual MODFLOW Flex?
If you currently subscribe to the Waterloo Hydrogeologic software maintenance plan, you are eligible for a free upgrade to Visual MODFLOW Flex. If you do not subscribe to the Waterloo Hydrogeologic software maintenance plan, please contact our sales representatives (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain an upgrade quote.