Visual MODFLOW Flex groundwater modeling software is the industry standard for simulating groundwater flow and contaminant transport.
Groundwater Flow & Contaminant Transport Modeling Software
Visual MODFLOW Flex is more than just a graphical user interface for MODFLOW groundwater simulations. Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport, essential analysis and calibration tools, and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use software environment.
With Visual MODFLOW Flex, groundwater modelers have all the tools required for addressing local to regional-scale water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection issues.
Why Choose Visual MODFLOW Flex?
Build models faster and more efficiently
With integrated 3D conceptual modeling, you will never have to rebuild a model again. Model inputs and grid design can be updated at any point in the modeling process as modeling objectives change, more data are collected and a better understanding of the sub-surface is achieved.
Since 1995, Visual MODFLOW has been recognized for its intuitive, easy-to-use interface. With Visual MODFLOW Flex, modeling steps are conveniently presented in an intuitive, workflow-driven graphical user interface, allowing you to see what steps you’ve completed, your current step and what steps you need to finish to reach your modeling objectives.
Save time and money
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides both GIS-based 3D conceptual modeling and numerical modeling all within a single integrated software environment. This reduces the need to maintain costly 3rd party pre-processing tools and eliminates the error-prone process of transferring data back-and-forth between different software packages and data formats.
Model with confidence
The 3D conceptual modeling capabilities allow you to easily interpret and analyze raw GIS data in 2D, 3D and cross-sectional viewers. This provides a visual quality assurance of the data and allows you to gain a solid understanding of the subsurface before designing the numerical model.
Build larger, more complex models
Visual MODFLOW Flex is equipped to handle vast quantities of detailed, high resolution data. With 64-bit support, you can leverage the extra memory available on 64-bit computer and simulate large and complex regional-scale groundwater systems.
Build credible models
With integrated modeling, model inputs and outputs can be easily visualized alongside raw GIS field data in 3D. This allows you to establish model credibility by demonstrating how numerical model data (model layers, flow parameters, recharge data) were generated from conceptual data (borehole logs, GIS data). Calculated heads and pathlines can also be displayed alongside conceptual model data to validate assumptions and further demonstrate model credibility.
Easily compare multiple models
Visual MODFLOW Flex’s unique design permits easy side-by-side comparisons of multiple models allowing you to assess alternative modeling scenarios, grid indiscretions and hydro-geologic interpretations.
Get started fast
Advance your technical knowledge and become an expert in no time with a wealth of learning and support resources including step-by-step tutorials, comprehensive user’s guide, videos, online training courses and free webinars.
I’ve been numerical modeling for almost 25 years, and I do believe, overall you have the best product!
Visual MODFLOW Flex Applications
Visual MODFLOW Flex can be used for an array of groundwater applications.
- Delineate well capture zones for domestic water supply development
- Design and optimize pumping well locations for mine dewatering projects
- Determine contaminant fate and exposure pathways for risk assessment
- Simulate surface water-groundwater interactions
- Watershed scale/regional groundwater modeling
- Evaluate groundwater remediation systems (pump and treat, funnel and gate etc)
- Aquifer storage and recovery (ASR)
- Evaluate saltwater intrusion
Discover new features added in recent releases
Experience the power of Visual MODFLOW Flex 6.0
Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport, essential analysis and calibration tools, and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use environment.
1. Build your unstructured MODFLOW-USG model using the same workflow steps as in a structured Finite Difference model:
- Define Modeling Objectives
- Specify model properties (such as Conductivities, Initial Heads, etc.) using the same tools as in Finite Difference models
- Add Boundary Conditions
- Define ZoneBudget Zones
- Add Particles
2. Define Quadtree Grids (Q-Grids)
3. Refine vertical layers when creating unstructured grids
4. Make use of advanced translation settings providing greater flexibility in how your model simulations are formulated
5. Support for the MODFLOW-USG Ghost Node Correction (GNC) package
6. Flex is now packaged with MODFLOW-USG v1.4, the latest official USGS version as of the release date of Flex 6.0
2. Enhanced particle tracking capabilities allowing you to define:
- Groups of particles that can be tracked and visualized separately
- Separate particle release times for each particle group
- Locations of particles based on existing or drawn point, polyline, polygon, or well features
- Particles in cross-section views (i.e. row and column views) of a finite difference model
- Particle elevations based on layer(s), surface(s), or a constant elevation
*mod-PATH3DU is a free utility developed by SSPA that must be downloaded and installed separately from the SSPA website.
1. Visualize velocity vectors in finite difference and unstructured grids. View:
- In-plane velocity vectors
- Color maps of out-of-plane velocities
- Display average or Darcy velocities (total or in-plane) or by direction
2. Specify a line feature along which to show cross-sectional color maps of unstructured grid model properties and outputs
3. Cell Inspector now includes Layer/Model Top and Bottom elevations, and the magnitude and X-, Y-, and Z-components of the average/Darcy groundwater velocity
4. When creating horizons, you can preview how the rules will be enforced in the 3D Viewer rather than viewing the raw surfaces
1. Field calculator/expression builder includes
- cell geometry variables: Cell Bottom ($BOT), Model Bottom ($MBOT), Cell Thickness ($DZ), Cell Width ($DX), and Cell Length($DY) and additional functions: LOG, LOG10, NOT, ABS, DOT
2. Copy Model (Flow/Transport) Properties and Boundary Conditions to form one Layer, Row, or Column to other Layers/Rows/Columns
3. Edit cells (active/inactive, zone budget) in row/column views.
1. Import distributed property values from Classic Models
2. Use a source data field to map feature elevations when importing point, polyline, and polygon data
3. Model outputs including groundwater heads, drawdown, velocity, and concentrations can be exported to text files
4. Export contours as polyline shapefiles
1. Observation Wells can be specified as separate groups
2. Performance improvements on project open and close operations for larger projects
3. Output Control file translation supports keywords or codes and the standard or compact budget formats to provide support of MODPATH and mod-PATH3Du.
4. Added MT3D-MS and RT3D summary output (.OT) files to the open files dialog at the model run step
- Intermittent unhelpful translation error “Vmac is running in the task bar, please close it and try again”.
- Deleting particles by drawing a box does not actually delete particles
- Well schedule not translated correctly if the project time unit is not in days
- In some cases, particularly if the whole output water table exceeds the model ground surface it was rendered at Elevation=1
- Modifications to a pumping well boundary condition propagate to all runs under the same grid
- Concentration observations contained incorrect column names
- Project Clean-up/Remove orphan objects from model
- If all boundary conditions of a given type were deleted, they would still run in the model due to advanced run settings. You are now prompted to remove the translated file or back-it up so that it no longer runs in the model
- In some cases, the schedule for pumping wells with relative times does not import correctly
- In some cases, assigning a schedule to a conceptual boundary condition results in an error message that the schedule occurs before the model start date even if this is not true
- Concentration observations incorrectly handled for simulations with multiple species
- Transient Fluxes (Model Results) are not shown or exported, only Flux from first time step.
- Fluxes not displaying properly in 3D Viewer
- Cells remain active if boundary condition is applied to ‘Top’ of model domain
- MODFLOW-USG, BCF package fails to translate if property values are edited
- When using a uniform grid, the CM->NM conversion does not add conceptual BCs assigned to model top to Layer 1 rather than the upper-most active layer
- When importing heads file as 3D gridded data to a Rotated Grid Project, error “Object reference not set to instance of object appears”
- Inconsistent/compound units are not correctly converted for certain RT3D reaction parameters
- Water table for USG does not take ponding into account
- Reinstalling Visual MODFLOW Flex does not replace MODFLOW-SURFACT with the demo version in the engines folder
- Flex does not always cleanly delete elements from the Model Explorer, resulting in large file sizes
- In some cases, MODFLOW-USG conceptual model conversion results in incorrect parameter values, and causes parameter editing to fail
- Out of memory error when attempting to display certain DXF files in 2D view of Flex viewer or standalone 2D viewer
- Multiple Lake BCs result in a multiple key error upon translation
For a full version history, click here to review the Visual MODFLOW Flex Readme documentation.
Comprehensive Groundwater Modeling
With Visual MODFLOW Flex you have a comprehensive set of tools necessary for addressing water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection initiatives, including:
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT||The world standard for groundwater flow modeling|
|MODFLOW-USG||A finite volume version of MODFLOW that uses unstructured grids. Learn more|
|MODFLOW-LGR||Shared-node local grid refinement (LGR) for regional-local scale simulations|
|MODFLOW-SURFACT||Enhanced simulations of complex saturated/unsaturated subsurface flow and transport processes|
|MT3DMS||The standard package for multi-species contaminant transport simulations|
|SEAWAT||The model for variable-density groundwater flow coupled with multi-species solute and heat transport|
|RT3D||Advanced and specialized multi-species reactive contaminant transport simulations|
|MODPATH||The standard package for forward and reverse particle tracking|
|MOD-PATH3DU||An advanced package for forward and reverse particle tracking supporting unstructured grids|
|Zone Budget||A package for sub-regional water budget calculations|
|PEST v.12.3||Automated calibration and sensitivity analysis with support for pilot points|
View all supported flow engines, transport engines and MODFLOW packages.
Powerful Data Visualization
Built and designed on the latest in 3D visualization technology, Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to effectively present and communicate your data to colleagues and stakeholders with impressive visual renderings of your hydrogeologic model.
- Visualize all data, including conceptual objects, numerical grids, input data (property zones, boundary condition cells) and output data (calculated heads, pathlines, water table) in state-of-the-art 2D, 3D and multi-view (FlexViewer) displays
- Create cut-away and cross-sectional views that allow you to see inside your model
- Generate 3D animations and movies for reports or the web
- Add isolines, contours, pathlines and color shading to viewers
- Drape raster images (site maps, satellite imagery) over 3D surfaces to show relief
- Optimized OpenGL graphics for enhanced hardware rendering
Efficiently Manage Multiple Models
Most modeling projects involve several scenarios/versions, e.g., steady-state vs transient, different properties, inputs and grid types. Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to assess uncertainty and improve model credibility through comparisons and analysis of multiple modeling scenarios – all within a single project.
- Manage multiple model scenarios in a single project
- Easily generate multiple models in parallel for evaluating alternative hydrogeologic interpretations and hypotheses
- Make direct visual and numerical comparisons between different modeling scenarios
- Calculate head differences between multiple model runs, with the same or different grid size
- Compare and analyze multiple modeling scenarios for selecting the best, most realistic model
Full GIS Integration
Easily construct your grid-independent hydrogeologic conceptual model in minutes using existing GIS data sets.
- Quick and easy data importing of all common file types and formats
- Automatic coordinate system and units conversion on import
- Automatic data validation and intelligent error checking on import
- Define model boundaries, property zones, boundary conditions and attributes from imported GIS data
- Point, polygon and polyline data (.SHP, .XLS,.DXF, .TXT, .CSV, .MDB)
- 3D Surfaces (.DEM, .ASC, .GRD, .TXT)
- Site maps, aerial and satellite imagery (.JPG, . BMP, .TIF, .GIF)
- Borehole data, time schedules and cross-sections from Hydro GeoAnalyst
- MODFLOW files from Groundwater Vistas, GMS, ModelMuse and PMWIN.
- Native MODFLOW files
- Existing Visual MODFLOW Projects (.VMF)
- 3D Gridded Data (.HDS and .DAT)
Flexible Grid Options
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides various grid types from which you can generate your numerical model. Easily experiment with different grid types and choose the one that gives you the best, most stable model.
- Choose from various structured and unstructured grid types to accommodate a wide range of applications and geologic conditions (e.g., pinch outs, discontinuities)
- Improve simulation accuracy, reduce runtimes and increase model stability with unstructured grid types (MODFLOW-USG)
- Easily generate multiple grids within the same project and compare side-by-side in 2D or 3D
- Perform grid refinement around areas of interest
- Create faster more stable models with nested child grids that contain local horizontal and vertical refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)
Unparalleled Power and Performance
Take full advantage of 64-bit architecture and multiple core processors, and build bigger models and run simulations significantly faster.
- Available in 64-bit with support for 64-bit engines
- Multi-core parallel processing for flow engines
Flexible Modeling Approaches
Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to choose which modeling approach to use for building your groundwater models. Choose the flexible and efficient conceptual modeling approach or the classical modeling approach.
Integrated 3D Conceptual and Numerical Groundwater Modeling
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides a seamless transition from raw data through conceptualization to the numerical model all within a single intuitive modeling environment.
- Define complex geology and model layers using borehole log data and cross-sections
- Interpret GIS data to define hydrogeologic properties and boundaries independent of the grid
- Run, analyze, and validate model results with raw data in 2D, 3D, and cross-section views
- Easily create multiple conceptualizations; generate numerous grids and model scenarios in parallel all in a single project
- Assess uncertainty though comparing heads from multiple model runs in 2D, 3D or chart views
Find a complete listing of our training videos on our YouTube channel
Visual MODFLOW Flex System Requirements
Visual MODFLOW Flex requires the following minimum hardware configuration
|Operating Systems||Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise|
Windows 8.1 Pro or Enterprise
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate
|Processor||32-bit or 64-bit|
|Hard Disk||500GB drive with enough room to run a model. Waterloo Hyrdrogeologic recommends 50GB free space|
|RAM||8 GB or more recommended|
|Networking Hardware||Network Card (required for soft key licensing)|
If you intend to work with large models (est. > 500,000 nodes), it is recommended that you use 64-bit version of Visual MODFLOW Flex, and increase your RAM (10 GB or more).
The Visual MODFLOW Flex installation package requires the following software configuration:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft Office (2000 or later). If you do not have Office, you must install the Microsoft Access Database Engine.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Feature Comparison
|Commercial Standalone License||$1800.00 USD||$4240.00 USD||$6040.00 USD|
|Commercial Team License||$2700.00 USD||$6360.00 USD||$9060.00 USD|
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT|
|MODFLOW-USG (UnStructured Grids)|
|Enhanced 3D Visualization|
|Local Grid Refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)|
|Multiple Grid Types|
|Compare results from multiple model runs|
|Modeling Scenarios in a Project||Just one||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Build and run bigger models (Native 64-bit Support)|
|3D Animation and Movie Generation|
|SAMG Solver (Serial)|
|SAMG Solver (Parallel)|
|FEFLOW Model Generation (.FEM file)|
* Basic edition only available with a 32-bit installer
Already have a license and looking to upgrade to the latest version? Please contact us for upgrade pricing.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Support Resources
- LinkedIn User’s Group
- What is Visual MODFLOW Flex?
- An Introduction to Groundwater Modeling Concepts
- Getting Started with Visual MODFLOW Flex
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Your Complete Guide to MODFLOW-USG
- All Tutorials
- User’s Manual (PDF)
- User’s Manual (Online)
- Visual MODFLOW Flex ReadMe
- White Papers & Technical Articles
Software Technical Support
Our hallmark reputation is also based on our unparalleled product support after the sale, and our unwavering commitment and loyalty to our customers.
Have you found a bug in our software? Are there features you would like to see included in future releases? You can help make Visual MODFLOW better by sending us your suggestions. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org