Visual MODFLOW Flex groundwater modeling software is the industry standard for simulating groundwater flow and contaminant transport.
Groundwater Flow & Contaminant Transport Modeling Software
Visual MODFLOW Flex is more than just a graphical user interface for MODFLOW groundwater simulations. Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport, essential analysis and calibration tools, and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use software environment.
With Visual MODFLOW Flex, groundwater modelers have all the tools required for addressing local to regional-scale water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection issues.
Why Choose Visual MODFLOW Flex?
Build models faster and more efficiently
With integrated 3D conceptual modeling, you will never have to rebuild a model again. Model inputs and grid design can be updated at any point in the modeling process as modeling objectives change, more data are collected and a better understanding of the sub-surface is achieved.
Since 1995, Visual MODFLOW has been recognized for its intuitive, easy-to-use interface. With Visual MODFLOW Flex, modeling steps are conveniently presented in an intuitive, workflow-driven graphical user interface, allowing you to see what steps you’ve completed, your current step and what steps you need to finish to reach your modeling objectives.
Save time and money
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides both GIS-based 3D conceptual modeling and numerical modeling all within a single integrated software environment. This reduces the need to maintain costly 3rd party pre-processing tools and eliminates the error-prone process of transferring data back-and-forth between different software packages and data formats.
Model with confidence
The 3D conceptual modeling capabilities allow you to easily interpret and analyze raw GIS data in 2D, 3D and cross-sectional viewers. This provides a visual quality assurance of the data and allows you to gain a solid understanding of the subsurface before designing the numerical model.
Build larger, more complex models
Visual MODFLOW Flex is equipped to handle vast quantities of detailed, high resolution data. With 64-bit support, you can leverage the extra memory available on 64-bit computer and simulate large and complex regional-scale groundwater systems.
Build credible models
With integrated modeling, model inputs and outputs can be easily visualized alongside raw GIS field data in 3D. This allows you to establish model credibility by demonstrating how numerical model data (model layers, flow parameters, recharge data) were generated from conceptual data (borehole logs, GIS data). Calculated heads and pathlines can also be displayed alongside conceptual model data to validate assumptions and further demonstrate model credibility.
Easily compare multiple models
Visual MODFLOW Flex’s unique design permits easy side-by-side comparisons of multiple models allowing you to assess alternative modeling scenarios, grid indiscretions and hydro-geologic interpretations.
Get started fast
Advance your technical knowledge and become an expert in no time with a wealth of learning and support resources including step-by-step tutorials, comprehensive user’s guide, videos, online training courses and free webinars.
I’ve been numerical modeling for almost 25 years, and I do believe, overall you have the best product!
Visual MODFLOW Flex Applications
Visual MODFLOW Flex can be used for an array of groundwater applications.
- Delineate well capture zones for domestic water supply development
- Design and optimize pumping well locations for mine dewatering projects
- Determine contaminant fate and exposure pathways for risk assessment
- Simulate surface water-groundwater interactions
- Watershed scale/regional groundwater modeling
- Evaluate groundwater remediation systems (pump and treat, funnel and gate etc)
- Aquifer storage and recovery (ASR)
- Evaluate saltwater intrusion
Discover new features added in recent releases
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides vibrant tools and time-saving workflow options, giving you the ability to efficiently build complex groundwater models. Visually stunning projects are at your fingertips with the new 5.0
SEAWAT – Added Support for SEAWAT v.4: Visual MODFLOW Flex now supports SEAWAT, a fully coupled flow, multi-species solute and heat transport model developed by the USGS, based on a combination of MODFLOW-2000 and MT3D-MS.
The following SEAWAT flow packages are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• BAS6 – Basic Package
• DIS – Discretization Package
• BCF6 – Block-Centered Flow Package
• LPF – Layer Property Flow Package
• OC – Output Control Package
• RCH – Recharge Package
• EVT – Evapotranspiration Package
• WEL – Well Package
• DRN – Drain Package
• RIV – River Package
• GHB – General-Head Boundary Package
• FHB – Flow and Head Boundary Package
• CHD – Time-Variant Constant Head Package
• LAK – Lake Package (LAK3)
• HFB6 – Horizontal Flow Barrier package (HFB6)
• OBS – Observation
• HOB – Hydraulic-Head Observation
• GMG – Geometric Multi-Grid Solver
• PCG – Pre-conditioned Conjugate Gradient Solver (PCG2)
•SIP – Strongly Implicit Procedure Package
• WHS – BiCGSTAB-P Matrix Solver
• LMG – Link Multi-Grid package for using the SAMG (Systems Algebraic Multi-Grid) Solver
The following SEAWAT transport packages are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• VDF – Variable Density Package
• VSC – Viscosity Package
• BTN – Basic Transport
• ADV – Advection
• DSP – Dispersion
• SSM – Source/Sink Mixing
• RCT – Reaction Package
• GCG – Generalized Conjugate Gradient Solver
NOTE: Advanced Translate/Run Settings enable partial support for simulating additional processes/packages (e.g. subsidence, drain return) developed outside of Flex.
RT3D – Added Support for RT3D v2.5: Visual MODFLOW Flex now supports RT3D, an advanced reactive transport engine based on the popular MT3DMS transport engine.
The following reaction modules are supported in Visual MODFLOW Flex:
• Instantaneous aerobic degradation of BTEX.
• Six Species, First-Order, Rate-Limited, BTEX Degradation using Sequential Electron Acceptors
• Rate-Limited Sorption
• Double Monod Model
• Sequential First-Order Decay (up to 4 species, e.g., PCE/TCE/DCE/VC)
• Aerobic/Anaerobic PCE/TCE Dechlorination
Dynamic additions to visualization and settings.
- Cell Inspector – View and inspect structured and unstructured models at the cell-level using the new cell inspector, available in the workflow viewers. The cell inspector displays cell values for user-specified input and output data fields.
- Status Bar – Cell dimensions have been added to the status bar.
- Time-Picker – A time-picker is now available for unstructured grid workflow viewers.
- Layer-Picker – A layer-picker is now available for unstructured grid workflow viewers.
Additional Translation/Run Settings: Added advanced settings for all supported engines (excluding MODFLOW-USG) so that you can specify whether individual packages are translated and/or run with the model, which provides the flexibility to use your own package input files.
New Property and Boundary Conditions tools.
- Field Calculator: Populate boundary condition fields using a calculator that includes an expression builder dialog to facilitate the inclusion of variables based on your model’s properties (e.g. grid dimensions, elevations).
- Dispersion Parameters: Values can be edited in the Dispersion Parameter Dialog using copy, paste, and fill commands.
- Easy Classic Importing: Import your Classic project into Visual MODFLOW Flex directly from the file menu.
- Import Classic Concentrations: Boundary condition concentrations are now imported from Classic Projects.
- Animate Relative times in 3D views: in 3D View animations, the time stamp label for heads can be specified in relative or absolute time.
- Descriptive Title Bars for Settings Windows: settings windows now display descriptive window titles including the data layer and viewer the settings apply to.
- Rename Objects: Objects in the Data Explorer and most objects in the Model Explorer can be renamed.
- Feedback Button: Added anonymous feedback buttons so that you can easily report what features you like or don’t like.
- SAMG Solver: Added a single-processor version of the SAMG solver for Visual MODFLOW PRO users.
- Defining BCs along irregular polylines that are close to the active model limits produced unexpected results
- Reorder Tool was missing in some views
- The Show/Hide Gridlines button and associated toolbar disappeared intermittently from the viewer
- Well Data import failed without warning the user that the pumping schedule had inconsistencies, including pumping start date before model start date or pumping start date after pumping end date
- User could not assign polygon attribute data to conceptual recharge/evapotranspiration elements
- Problem(s) with Time Series Viewer
- Multiple PEST Workflows could be created for the same model run which corrupted the PEST workflow.
- Multiple issues in the advanced run/translation settings
- PCG Solver translation settings of the PCG2, PCG4, and PCG5 solver packages for MODFLOW-SURFACT models.
For full version history, click here to review the Visual MODFLOW Flex.
Comprehensive Groundwater Modeling
With Visual MODFLOW Flex you have a comprehensive set of tools necessary for addressing water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection initiatives, including:
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT||The world standard for groundwater flow modeling|
|MODFLOW-USG||A finite volume version of MODFLOW that uses unstructured grids. Learn more|
|MODFLOW-LGR||Shared-node local grid refinement (LGR) for regional-local scale simulations|
|MODFLOW-SURFACT||Enhanced simulations of complex saturated/unsaturated subsurface flow and transport processes|
|SEAWAT||The model for variable-density groundwater flow coupled with multi-species solute and heat transport|
|MT3DMS||The standard package for multi-species contaminant transport simulations|
|RT3D||Advanced and specialized multi-species reactive contaminant transport simulations|
|MODPATH||The standard package for forward and reverse particle tracking|
|Zone Budget||A package for sub-regional water budget calculations|
|PEST v.12.3||Automated calibration and sensitivity analysis with support for pilot points|
View all supported flow engines, transport engines and MODFLOW packages.
Powerful Data Visualization
Built and designed on the latest in 3D visualization technology, Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to effectively present and communicate your data to colleagues and stakeholders with impressive visual renderings of your hydrogeologic model.
- Visualize all data, including conceptual objects, numerical grids, input data (property zones, boundary condition cells) and output data (calculated heads, pathlines, water table) in state-of-the-art 2D, 3D and multi-view (FlexViewer) displays
- Create cut-away and cross-sectional views that allow you to see inside your model
- Generate 3D animations and movies for reports or the web
- Add isolines, contours, pathlines and color shading to viewers
- Drape raster images (site maps, satellite imagery) over 3D surfaces to show relief
- Optimized OpenGL graphics for enhanced hardware rendering
Efficiently Manage Multiple Models
Most modeling projects involve several scenarios/versions, e.g., steady-state vs transient, different properties, inputs and grid types. Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to assess uncertainty and improve model credibility through comparisons and analysis of multiple modeling scenarios – all within a single project.
- Manage multiple model scenarios in a single project
- Easily generate multiple models in parallel for evaluating alternative hydrogeologic interpretations and hypotheses
- Make direct visual and numerical comparisons between different modeling scenarios
- Calculate head differences between multiple model runs, with the same or different grid size
- Compare and analyze multiple modeling scenarios for selecting the best, most realistic model
Full GIS Integration
Easily construct your grid-independent hydrogeologic conceptual model in minutes using existing GIS data sets.
- Quick and easy data importing of all common file types and formats
- Automatic coordinate system and units conversion on import
- Automatic data validation and intelligent error checking on import
- Define model boundaries, property zones, boundary conditions and attributes from imported GIS data
- Point, polygon and polyline data (.SHP, .XLS,.DXF, .TXT, .CSV, .MDB)
- 3D Surfaces (.DEM, .ASC, .GRD, .TXT)
- Site maps, aerial and satellite imagery (.JPG, . BMP, .TIF, .GIF)
- Borehole data, time schedules and cross-sections from Hydro GeoAnalyst
- MODFLOW files from Groundwater Vistas, GMS, ModelMuse and PMWIN.
- Native MODFLOW files
- Existing Visual MODFLOW Projects (.VMF)
- 3D Gridded Data (.HDS and .DAT)
Flexible Grid Options
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides various grid types from which you can generate your numerical model. Easily experiment with different grid types and choose the one that gives you the best, most stable model.
- Choose from various structured and unstructured grid types to accommodate a wide range of applications and geologic conditions (e.g., pinch outs, discontinuities)
- Improve simulation accuracy, reduce runtimes and increase model stability with unstructured grid types (MODFLOW-USG)
- Easily generate multiple grids within the same project and compare side-by-side in 2D or 3D
- Perform grid refinement around areas of interest
- Create faster more stable models with nested child grids that contain local horizontal and vertical refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)
Unparalleled Power and Performance
Take full advantage of 64-bit architecture and multiple core processors, and build bigger models and run simulations significantly faster.
- Available in 64-bit with support for 64-bit engines
- Multi-core parallel processing for flow engines
Flexible Modeling Approaches
Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to choose which modeling approach to use for building your groundwater models. Choose the flexible and efficient conceptual modeling approach or the classical modeling approach.
Integrated 3D Conceptual and Numerical Groundwater Modeling
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides a seamless transition from raw data through conceptualization to the numerical model all within a single intuitive modeling environment.
- Define complex geology and model layers using borehole log data and cross-sections
- Interpret GIS data to define hydrogeologic properties and boundaries independent of the grid
- Run, analyze, and validate model results with raw data in 2D, 3D, and cross-section views
- Easily create multiple conceptualizations; generate numerous grids and model scenarios in parallel all in a single project
- Assess uncertainty though comparing heads from multiple model runs in 2D, 3D or chart views
Visual MODFLOW Flex Videos
Visual MODFLOW Flex System Requirements
Visual MODFLOW Flex requires the following minimum hardware configuration
|Operating Systems||Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise|
Windows 8.1 Pro or Enterprise
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate
|Processor||32-bit or 64-bit|
|Hard Disk||500 MB|
|RAM||8 GB or more recommended|
|Networking Hardware||Network Card (required for soft key licensing)|
If you intend to work with large models (est. > 500,000 nodes), it is recommended that you use 64-bit version of Visual MODFLOW Flex, and increase your RAM (10 GB or more).
The Visual MODFLOW Flex installation package requires the following software configuration:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft Office (2000 or later). If you do not have Office, you must install the Microsoft Access Database Engine.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Feature Comparison
|Commercial Standalone License||$1745.00 USD||$4115.00 USD||$5865.00 USD|
|Commercial Team License||$2617.50 USD||$6172.50 USD||$8797.50 USD|
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT|
|MODFLOW-USG (UnStructured Grids)|
|MODPATH (Particle Tracking)|
|Enhanced 3D Visualization|
|Local Grid Refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)|
|Multiple Grid Types|
|Compare results from multiple model runs|
|Modeling Scenarios in a Project||Just one||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Build and run bigger models (Native 64-bit Support)|
|3D Animation and Movie Generation|
|FEFLOW Model Generation (.FEM file)|
* Features only available from within the accompanying Visual MODFLOW Classic Interface. Learn more
** Basic edition only available with a 32-bit installer
Already have a license and looking to upgrade to the latest version? Please contact us for upgrade pricing.
Visual MODFLOW Support Resources
Visual MODFLOW Flex Interface
- LinkedIn User’s Group
- What is Visual MODFLOW Flex?
- An Introduction to Groundwater Modeling Concepts
- Getting Started with Visual MODFLOW Flex
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Your Complete Guide to MODFLOW-USG
- All Tutorials
- User’s Manual (PDF)
- User’s Manual (Online)
- Visual MODFLOW Flex ReadMe
- White Papers & Technical Articles
Visual MODFLOW Classic Interface
- Getting Started with Visual MODFLOW Classic
- User’s Manual (PDF)
- Demo Tutorial
- All Tutorials
- Visual MODFLOW Classic ReadMe
Software Technical Support
Our hallmark reputation is also based on our unparalleled product support after the sale, and our unwavering commitment and loyalty to our customers.
Have you found a bug in our software? Are there features you would like to see included in future releases? You can help make Visual MODFLOW better by sending us your suggestions. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org