Visual MODFLOW Flex groundwater modeling software is the industry standard for simulating groundwater flow and contaminant transport.
Groundwater Flow & Contaminant Transport Modeling Software
Visual MODFLOW Flex is more than just a graphical user interface for MODFLOW groundwater simulations. Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport, essential analysis and calibration tools, and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use software environment.
With Visual MODFLOW Flex, groundwater modelers have all the tools required for addressing local to regional-scale water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection issues.
Why Choose Visual MODFLOW Flex?
Build models faster and more efficiently
With integrated 3D conceptual modeling, you will never have to rebuild a model again. Model inputs and grid design can be updated at any point in the modeling process as modeling objectives change, more data are collected and a better understanding of the sub-surface is achieved.
Since 1995, Visual MODFLOW has been recognized for its intuitive, easy-to-use interface. With Visual MODFLOW Flex, modeling steps are conveniently presented in an intuitive, workflow-driven graphical user interface, allowing you to see what steps you’ve completed, your current step and what steps you need to finish to reach your modeling objectives.
Save time and money
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides both GIS-based 3D conceptual modeling and numerical modeling all within a single integrated software environment. This reduces the need to maintain costly 3rd party pre-processing tools and eliminates the error-prone process of transferring data back-and-forth between different software packages and data formats.
Model with confidence
The 3D conceptual modeling capabilities allow you to easily interpret and analyze raw GIS data in 2D, 3D and cross-sectional viewers. This provides a visual quality assurance of the data and allows you to gain a solid understanding of the subsurface before designing the numerical model.
Build larger, more complex models
Visual MODFLOW Flex is equipped to handle vast quantities of detailed, high resolution data. With 64-bit support, you can leverage the extra memory available on 64-bit computer and simulate large and complex regional-scale groundwater systems.
Build credible models
With integrated modeling, model inputs and outputs can be easily visualized alongside raw GIS field data in 3D. This allows you to establish model credibility by demonstrating how numerical model data (model layers, flow parameters, recharge data) were generated from conceptual data (borehole logs, GIS data). Calculated heads and pathlines can also be displayed alongside conceptual model data to validate assumptions and further demonstrate model credibility.
Easily compare multiple models
Visual MODFLOW Flex’s unique design permits easy side-by-side comparisons of multiple models allowing you to assess alternative modeling scenarios, grid indiscretions and hydro-geologic interpretations.
Get started fast
Advance your technical knowledge and become an expert in no time with a wealth of learning and support resources including step-by-step tutorials, comprehensive user’s guide, videos, online training courses and free webinars.
I’ve been numerical modeling for almost 25 years, and I do believe, overall you have the best product!
Visual MODFLOW Flex Applications
Visual MODFLOW Flex can be used for an array of groundwater applications.
- Delineate well capture zones for domestic water supply development
- Design and optimize pumping well locations for mine dewatering projects
- Determine contaminant fate and exposure pathways for risk assessment
- Simulate surface water-groundwater interactions
- Watershed scale/regional groundwater modeling
- Evaluate groundwater remediation systems (pump and treat, funnel and gate etc)
- Aquifer storage and recovery (ASR)
- Evaluate saltwater intrusion
Discover new features added in recent releases
Experience the power of Visual MODFLOW Flex 6.1
Visual MODFLOW Flex brings together industry-standard codes for groundwater flow and contaminant transport, essential analysis and calibration tools, and stunning 3D visualization capabilities in a single, easy-to-use environment.
- Boundary Condition in/outflows from the Budget file are available in 2D/3D views and the cell inspector via the Output / Budget node in the model Explorer
- You can Assign/Edit Model Properties and Boundary Conditions using an input surface, horizon, or water table object in the Expression Builder
- Expression Builder includes Round and Significant Digit functions
- The SAMG solver is available with MODFLOW-USG
- Visual MODFLOW Flex warns you and allows you to back up a project before irreversibly upgrading projects created in previous versions
- You can specify ground surface or heads from a previous model run instead of using the initial head property values at the translation step for MODFLOW-USG runs
- You can zoom to an object in the Model Explorer in a 2D viewer using the context menu
- Adding a data object such as a bitmap that is non-transparent during the grid creation process will overlay it on top of the grid rendering it invisible.
- Row/Column views for rotated grids are projected on NS/EW planes rather than on rotated model co-ordinate axes
- In some cases, surfaces generated using the model domain polygon did not fully span the model domain due to differences in numerical precision.
- LST file takes a long time to print for transient models
- Unhandled Exception when viewing certain .DXF files with unsupported components in a 2D Viewer
- Performance Issues on Project Load and Reload
- In some cases, not all wells are included when exporting data from the Calc. vs Obs. Chart
- In some cases, linear boundary condition features were skipped during conceptual to numerical model conversion.
- Concentration output nodes are not always created in RT3D runs
- Conceptual BCs assigned to the model sides not assigned as expected following conceptual to numerical model conversion to a finite difference grid if the grid cells are thin and/or there are steep gradients at the model edge.
- Uncaught exception visualizing Fluxes when budget file is removed
- View Maps not showing heads output
- Can’t assign wells using Wells data object on Q-Grid
- Well Edit form dives under the main Flex window
- Only the first stress period values for bed leakance were included in LAK package translation
Comprehensive Groundwater Modeling
With Visual MODFLOW Flex you have a comprehensive set of tools necessary for addressing water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection initiatives, including:
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT||The world standard for groundwater flow modeling|
|MODFLOW-USG||A finite volume version of MODFLOW that uses unstructured grids. Learn more|
|MODFLOW-LGR||Shared-node local grid refinement (LGR) for regional-local scale simulations|
|MODFLOW-SURFACT||Enhanced simulations of complex saturated/unsaturated subsurface flow and transport processes|
|MT3DMS||The standard package for multi-species contaminant transport simulations|
|SEAWAT||The model for variable-density groundwater flow coupled with multi-species solute and heat transport|
|RT3D||Advanced and specialized multi-species reactive contaminant transport simulations|
|MODPATH||The standard package for forward and reverse particle tracking|
|MOD-PATH3DU||An advanced package for forward and reverse particle tracking supporting unstructured grids|
|Zone Budget||A package for sub-regional water budget calculations|
|PEST v.12.3||Automated calibration and sensitivity analysis with support for pilot points|
View all supported flow engines, transport engines and MODFLOW packages.
Powerful Data Visualization
Built and designed on the latest in 3D visualization technology, Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to effectively present and communicate your data to colleagues and stakeholders with impressive visual renderings of your hydrogeologic model.
- Visualize all data, including conceptual objects, numerical grids, input data (property zones, boundary condition cells) and output data (calculated heads, pathlines, water table) in state-of-the-art 2D, 3D and multi-view (FlexViewer) displays
- Create cut-away and cross-sectional views that allow you to see inside your model
- Generate 3D animations and movies for reports or the web
- Add isolines, contours, pathlines and color shading to viewers
- Drape raster images (site maps, satellite imagery) over 3D surfaces to show relief
- Optimized OpenGL graphics for enhanced hardware rendering
Efficiently Manage Multiple Models
Most modeling projects involve several scenarios/versions, e.g., steady-state vs transient, different properties, inputs and grid types. Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to assess uncertainty and improve model credibility through comparisons and analysis of multiple modeling scenarios – all within a single project.
- Manage multiple model scenarios in a single project
- Easily generate multiple models in parallel for evaluating alternative hydrogeologic interpretations and hypotheses
- Make direct visual and numerical comparisons between different modeling scenarios
- Calculate head differences between multiple model runs, with the same or different grid size
- Compare and analyze multiple modeling scenarios for selecting the best, most realistic model
Full GIS Integration
Easily construct your grid-independent hydrogeologic conceptual model in minutes using existing GIS data sets.
- Quick and easy data importing of all common file types and formats
- Automatic coordinate system and units conversion on import
- Automatic data validation and intelligent error checking on import
- Define model boundaries, property zones, boundary conditions and attributes from imported GIS data
- Point, polygon and polyline data (.SHP, .XLS,.DXF, .TXT, .CSV, .MDB)
- 3D Surfaces (.DEM, .ASC, .GRD, .TXT)
- Site maps, aerial and satellite imagery (.JPG, . BMP, .TIF, .GIF)
- Borehole data, time schedules and cross-sections from Hydro GeoAnalyst
- MODFLOW files from Groundwater Vistas, GMS, ModelMuse and PMWIN.
- Native MODFLOW files
- Existing Visual MODFLOW Projects (.VMF)
- 3D Gridded Data (.HDS and .DAT)
Flexible Grid Options
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides various grid types from which you can generate your numerical model. Easily experiment with different grid types and choose the one that gives you the best, most stable model.
- Choose from various structured and unstructured grid types to accommodate a wide range of applications and geologic conditions (e.g., pinch outs, discontinuities)
- Improve simulation accuracy, reduce runtimes and increase model stability with unstructured grid types (MODFLOW-USG)
- Easily generate multiple grids within the same project and compare side-by-side in 2D or 3D
- Perform grid refinement around areas of interest
- Create faster more stable models with nested child grids that contain local horizontal and vertical refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)
Unparalleled Power and Performance
Take full advantage of 64-bit architecture and multiple core processors, and build bigger models and run simulations significantly faster.
- Available in 64-bit with support for 64-bit engines
- Multi-core parallel processing for flow engines
Flexible Modeling Approaches
Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to choose which modeling approach to use for building your groundwater models. Choose the flexible and efficient conceptual modeling approach or the classical modeling approach.
Integrated 3D Conceptual and Numerical Groundwater Modeling
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides a seamless transition from raw data through conceptualization to the numerical model all within a single intuitive modeling environment.
- Define complex geology and model layers using borehole log data and cross-sections
- Interpret GIS data to define hydrogeologic properties and boundaries independent of the grid
- Run, analyze, and validate model results with raw data in 2D, 3D, and cross-section views
- Easily create multiple conceptualizations; generate numerous grids and model scenarios in parallel all in a single project
- Assess uncertainty though comparing heads from multiple model runs in 2D, 3D or chart views
Find a complete listing of our training videos on our YouTube channel
Visual MODFLOW Flex System Requirements
Visual MODFLOW Flex requires the following minimum hardware configuration
|Operating Systems||Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise|
|Processor||32-bit or 64-bit|
|Hard Disk||500GB drive with enough room to run a model. Waterloo Hyrdrogeologic recommends 50GB free space|
|RAM||8 GB or more recommended*|
|Networking Hardware||Network Card (required for soft key licensing)|
*If you intend to work with larger models, it is recommended that you use 64-bit version of Visual MODFLOW Flex and increase your RAM above the minimum requirements. The following table of model size (number of cells vs. stress periods) shows recommendations for memory size based on a simple benchmark model using a dedicated computer (i.e. no other active applications). Results will vary depending on several factors.
*NR = not recommended
The Visual MODFLOW Flex installation package requires the following software configuration:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft Office (2000 or later). If you do not have Office, you must install the Microsoft Access Database Engine.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Feature Comparison
|Commercial Standalone License||$1800.00 USD||$4240.00 USD||$6040.00 USD|
|Commercial Team License||$2700.00 USD||$6360.00 USD||$9060.00 USD|
|MODFLOW-2000, 2005, NWT|
|MODFLOW-USG (UnStructured Grids)|
|Enhanced 3D Visualization|
|Local Grid Refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)|
|Multiple Grid Types|
|Compare results from multiple model runs|
|Modeling Scenarios in a Project||Just one||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Build and run bigger models (Native 64-bit Support)|
|3D Animation and Movie Generation|
|SAMG Solver (Serial)|
|SAMG Solver (Parallel)|
|FEFLOW Model Generation (.FEM file)|
* Basic edition only available with a 32-bit installer
Already have a license and looking to upgrade to the latest version? Please contact us for upgrade pricing.
Visual MODFLOW Flex Support Resources
- LinkedIn User’s Group
- What is Visual MODFLOW Flex?
- An Introduction to Groundwater Modeling Concepts
- Getting Started with Visual MODFLOW Flex
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Your Complete Guide to MODFLOW-USG
- All Tutorials
- User’s Manual (PDF)
- User’s Manual (Online)
- Visual MODFLOW Flex ReadMe
- White Papers & Technical Articles
Software Technical Support
Our hallmark reputation is also based on our unparalleled product support after the sale, and our unwavering commitment and loyalty to our customers.
Have you found a bug in our software? Are there features you would like to see included in future releases? You can help make Visual MODFLOW better by sending us your suggestions. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org