The project file you open with Hydro GeoAnalyst (see example below Demo 2016.1.hga) contains information regarding the SQL Server and database the project is connected to.
Within the file the DataSource is the name of the SQL Server and the Database is the name of the database the project is connected to.
On occasion, you may encounter difficulties opening your HGA project and receive the following generic message: Unable to connect to project database [ABC] on [SQL Server XYZ].
There are several possible reasons that might be causing the connection problem including:
- The SQL Server does not exist
- The database does not exist on that SQL Server
- You do not have permission to the SQL Server and/or Database
- The SQL Server services are not running
To resolve this issue please consider checking the following:
- Confirm with your IT staff that the SQL Server and database do in fact exist on your network.
- If the SQL Server and database do not exist on your network, the project may have been moved from another network (or was previously on a local database). In that case, you will need to use the Open from Backup option to restore the project. Once the project has been restored, then you can proceed with opening the project as usual.
- Confirm with your IT staff that you do have permission to the SQL Server and database you are trying to connect to.
- Have your IT staff ensure that the SQL Server Services are running – you can find more instructions here.
If for some reason you continue to experience difficulties opening your project, please contact our Technical Support team at email@example.com for further assistance.